We began in the Hall with four readings, told by parishioners - just told, not read straight out of the Bible or anything. They were extremely well-done. And then the homily.
Then outside with unlit tapers for the lighting of the new fire, from which the Paschal candle was lit. The priests nearly caught themselves on fire, as it wouldn’t light and then once it did the flames leapt two feet into the air.
And then into the dark Sanctuary, lighting our tapers from one another’s candles as the flame from the Paschal candle was passed throughout the congregation.
Then we renewed our baptismal vows and all were sprinkled with water.
And then the altar was re-dressed, and we celebrated the Eucharist.
A sung Eucharist, no less. The rector has a beautiful voice. I’d heard snippets before, but this was the first time I’d been present for a service at which she was presiding.
As we were leaving the Sanctuary after the service, one of the parishioners greeted me and said it was nice to see me there.
Parishioner: They didn’t have a service at Holy Trinity tonight?
Me: No, they’re not Catholic enough for that. And I’m too Catholic for them!
I brought along Bethany tonight, who also grew up in the Anglican church, in an Evangelical parish, with Evangelical parents (who are members of the Essentials movement, just like my own parents). She is now a member of the Pentecostal church at which she works.
I commented that I love the Easter Vigil… actually all services like that. She said that she does, too. “It reminds me of my roots.” She hadn’t been to an Easter Vigil before. I’m very glad she liked it, because maybe we can go together next year. I don’t mind attending these services alone, but being able to share such things with the people I love is an amazing blessing.
There’s an odd sort of disconnect for me to go from the pomp and ceremony and beauty of the service tonight to the informality of the service I will attend tomorrow morning. But I’m sure it will be fine.
Let us go forth into the world, rejoicing in the power of the Spirit. Alleluia, alleluia!
Thanks be to God. Alleluia, alleluia!
*****
**Part of an E-mail**
Service tonight was beautiful. I love the pomp and ceremony of the Easter Vigil, especially when it’s as “Catholic” as the service was at Christ Church tonight. Bethany appreciated it, too, though she’d never been to an Easter Vigil service before (she did grow up in the Anglican church, but a more Evangelical one than Christ Church is… and she is now a member of a Pentecostal church). I was happy to share it with her… I love sharing the things I love with those I love, especially things of faith.
…
There are many things about the church that I love. There are also many things about it that I would like to see change, but by and large I continue to attend services because I love the church, and I love to worship God with others who love Him.
Tomorrow morning I will attend Holy Trinity, where there is a band and very little pomp to the ceremony. It will be a fun service. Tonight was fun, as well, but in a different way. For one thing, we had a fire out front of the church for lighting the Paschal candle. It didn’t light, and then it lit and I was worried the priests were going to go up in flames as well (what with their robes and all), but they didn’t. The flames leapt high and were yellow and warm and lovely. Easily two feet into the air as they danced. And I watched them and thought that I might need to use watercolours to paint fire, because it is so transparent.
And that thought gives me an idea for an essay, but I will wait to write it until tomorrow because it is so late and I do need to sleep tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment